Unaccompanied minors

Your only worry will be they have fun

Summer camp? Visiting the grandparents overseas? Our Unaccompanied Minors service gives you peace of mind when your kids travel alone.

General information

  • The service is available for children aged 5 to 17.
  • Minors over the age of twelve may travel alone or with an adult who is not a parent or guardian provided they have written consent from their parent or legal guardian.
  • This service is not available on codeshare flights operated by our partner airlines.
  • Request this service when booking, before paying. You’ll find it under the Additional Services option when filling in passenger details.
  • This service will add a $50 USD charge each way to your booking, which must be paid in full upon purchasing the ticket.
Children excited to travel with Interjet

Required documents

In addition to the minor’s passport, their parent or guardian must provide official photo ID. If the child is being accompanied by an adult that is not their parent or guardian, the adult must show a passport or official photo ID as well as the following documents:

  • A document from the minor’s parents or legal guardians authorizing the departure from the country, notarized by a notary public.
  • Minors with Mexican nationality or residency, who travel from Mexico to other countries, require the Departure Form for Minors (SAM). You can learn more about this document on the National Institute of Immigration (INM) website. If these documents are granted abroad, they must be appropriately legalized or apostilled, and be accompanied by the respective translation if written in any language other than Spanish.

Conditions of application for unaccompanied travel

  • Before checking in at the airport, print our Unaccompanied Minor form or request one at the check-in desk. Fill out the form with the minor’s details, flight information, and the parent or guardian’s details. You must provide 1 original and 4 copies of the form when checking in.
  • The form must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian.
  • You must complete this form with the minor’s personal information, the information of the person taking the minor to the departure airport, and the person collecting the minor at their destination airport. The parent or guardian who will be meeting the unaccompanied minor at the destination airport must show a photo ID which will allow us to make sure they are the person designated to collect the minor.
  • The parent or guardian will be required to remain at the departure airport until the aircraft has taken off.
  • If you are traveling to Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Peru or the United States, we recommend checking additional requirements for each country.
  • We reserve the right to refuse unaccompanied travel to minors with a medical condition or disability. Medical clearance may be required for unaccompanied minors with a medical condition or a disability.

How does it work?

Minors are taken to their designated seat by Interjet’s senior flight attendant, along with all required documents. They are the first passengers to board the plane, traveling at the rear of the aircraft where the three members of our cabin crew will be able to take care of them for the duration of the flight. After arriving at the destination airport, unaccompanied children will be the last passengers to leave the plane. After that, Interjet staff will take them through the arrival process including customs, immigration (for international flights), baggage claim, and finally to the meeting point where the minors are to be met by a designated parent or guardian who must confirm their identity to our staff with an official photo ID.

Minors traveling as adults

Minors can travel alone free of charge under certain conditions and will be treated as adult passengers. They will also be able to check in online. For a minor to travel as an adult please complete the following steps:

For national and international flights

  • Fill out and print two copies of the Waiver of Liability Letter, which must be signed by a parent or guardian.
  • Provide two copies of the parent or tutor’s official photo ID for each flight.

For international flights

    • Provide a letter issued by a public notary authorizing the minor’s departure from the country.
    • Provide a completed SAM form (Autorización de salida del territorio de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos de niñas, niños, adolescentes o personas bajo tutela jurídica) stamped by the National Institute of Migration.
    • Provide a copy of the following documents:
      1. Minor’s valid passport
      2. Birth certificate
      3. Migration documents (Visa, eTA, etc.)